The full name of the Paro Dzong* is »Rinpung Dzong«, which means »fortress of the heap of jewels«.
The first building was erected by the Humrel Drukpa family. In 1645 they handed it over to the Shabdrung, who made significant extensions. The new building was inaugurated by 1646.
Photo by Guy van Strydonck
Written document, paper; 17th century;
Pen-case (ngudro), iron, gold and silver applications; L: 37 cm.;
Seal, iron, silver; L: 6,5 cm.; loan from the National Museum, Paro
The text, in cursive, is sealed with six seals and written on hand-made paper. The document is a list of boxes and pieces of luggage that were sent with the move of the head-abbot and his monks from their summer residence in Thimphu to their winter residence in Punakha. The creation of the Bhutanese state was fundamentally influenced by the fact that the administration of the realm was based on a system of writing.